Monday, March 3, 2014

Peel an Onion


I found this cute little stool on my local Facebook-Yardsale site.  Y'all know how big I am on this resource.  If you don't have one...START one!
It was cute, but the fabric just wasn't my style.  So with new fabric, staple gun, screwdrivers, pliers and hot glue gun in hand I started taking it apart.   

 



 I quickly realized there were FOUR layers of fabric.  How many lives had this little stool had?  My mind immediately went to wondering who had added each layer.  Did they add it because they loved it, choosing ever so carefully after much thought?  Did they add it because it was what they had on hand?  Did a young girl sit on this stool while her Grandmother taught her to crochet?  Did a boy sit on this still and listen to a "fireside chat" on the radio?
I can't help but wonder about all the furniture that dive into.  How I wish these pieces could talk.


The further I went, I realized it was definitely older than I first thought.
 Did I say 4 layers?  Surprise!  There was a fifth.  The original layer was this pretty green.


Another surprise.  There was no stuffing!  It was this straw like filling called excelsior.
I know it was used as late as the 1950's, but I'm pretty sure it's a little older than that based on the tacking in the last layer.

Following suit with the fabrics, there were 5 different kinds of tacks as well.


   After some new stuffing and batting I was able to start recover. 
 


I only some scraps of the polka dot, but I thought it would be cute on the corners.


What do you think? 

I think ...peeling back the layers is most of the fun for me.
What makes it fun for you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That was Awesome!!! Looks Great!

Unknown said...

Thank you! I loved the layers!